Blueberry banana bread – double the fruit and double the deliciousness! All the sweet slices will be gone before you know it.
Have you ever put blueberries in banana bread? I was inspired to try it from this recipe over at Oh My Veggies – her recipe is vegan, and while I wasn’t yet feeling that adventurous, I did think that adding blueberries was a great idea. I know I said I was not prepared to feed my visiting family members the other weekend, but I did plan enough to at least make this bread ahead of time. Though this would probably be a good side for any meal, it is probably best paired with brunch since it is a sweet bread.
Blueberries are in season, so I’m trying to find ways to use them in everything – smoothies, salads, and now even bread. I loved the extra fruit in this bread. I added 1 cup of blueberries, but there’s room for you to add even more than that if you wanted extra flavor. I also added a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, which is optional, but does give it even more flavor.
Banana bread always takes longer to bake because of the texture, but it’s worth the wait! I baked at 350F for about 70 minutes.
A lot of times I see a glaze added to banana bread, but I don’t think this recipe needs one. It’s sweet enough to eat plain.
What else do you like to add to your banana bread? Has anyone been blueberry picking yet this season?
Blueberry banana bread - double the fruit and double the deliciousness! All the sweet slices will be gone before you know it.
10 minPrep Time
70 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash ripe bananas with a fork. Add in egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add in sugar and melted butter, and cinnamon if using.
- Slowly add in flour mixture until just combined.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spray a bread pan with oil and pour in batter.
- Bake at 350F for 65-75 minutes, or until golden brown.