Black bean quinoa salad – flavorful, fast and filling. Another great way to enjoy quinoa in a vegan, gluten-free way. This was a hit for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike!
Recently, I had some family come to stay with me for the weekend. I made sure I checked off everything on my to-do list – I cleaned my apartment, made sure I had enough clean towels, I prepared my cats for the fact that there was going to be company interrupting their nap-time. On the morning my relatives were coming in, they called and asked about lunch. I played it cool and said “I’ve got it covered” but was really thinking “Oh right, I have to feed these people!” I already knew where I was taking them for dinner that night, but I *almost* forgot about the fact that they would be hungry when they arrived. I looked in my pantry to try to figure out what I could make quickly and that would feed 5 (very picky) people, and hiding behind a bag of pasta was quinoa! I’ve made quinoa burgers recently, but generally I tend to forget that quinoa is a great staple for quick and easy meals.
I couldn’t make my Greek quinoa salad again because my several of my family members (shockingly) don’t like feta cheese, so I pulled out a can of black beans and figured I could make it work. All it took on top of that was a tomato, green onions, olive oil, lime juice, some herbs and spices to throw this together. My grandma couldn’t even pronounce the word quinoa when I put this in front of her, but she quickly got over her skepticism and repeatedly said how flavorful and filling this black bean quinoa salad was. I call that a success!
A couple people were worried this wasn’t enough to feed 5 people, but even after everyone had seconds there were still leftovers. It’s a good thing lunch was a hit, because my idea to make overnight french toast for the next morning had to be scrapped, mainly because I forgot to buy bread! As my family pointed out, that’s kind of an important ingredient for french toast. Can’t win ’em all.
Black bean quinoa salad - flavorful, fast and filling. another great way to enjoy quinoa in a vegan, gluten-free way. This was a hit for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike!
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15-ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped (can use 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes instead)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium-large saucepan, add quinoa and water and bring to a boil.
- Once water starts to boil, reduce to medium-low heat, cover, and let cook for 10-12 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Add the black beans, green onions, and tomato to the quinoa.
- Mix in olive oil, cilantro, cumin, and lime juice and stir thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in refrigerator until cold if desired, or serve immediately.
Adapted from AllRecipes